- Title: From Integrability to Randomness in Symplectic and Quantum Geometry
- Amount: 149996 euros
- Duration: 2022-2025
- Principal Investigator: Álvaro Pelayo
- Team Members: Sean Curry (Oklahoma State University, USA), Fraydoun Rezakhanlou (UC Berkeley, USA) and San Vu Ngoc (Rennes 1, France)
- Brief Description: The goal is to use techniques from symplectic geometry, combinatorics, algebra and analysis to study classical/quantum integrable systems and random systems. Integrable systems are a crucial family of dynamical systems (i.e. systems which evolve with time) for which many quantities are preserved under the motion, and they play an essential role in both mathematics and physics. The project aims to introduce new perspectives and methods to solve several fundamental problems concerning integrable systems, including understanding their invariants and singularities, existence of fixed points, as well as making connections with symplectic geometric aspects of stability and randomness.
- BBVA Foundation Description (in Spanish): The BBVA Foundation Press Office published a description of the project (in Spanish) aimed at a general audience, which is available here.
BBVA FOUNDATION ANNOUNCEMENT
On May 31, 2022, the BBVA (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria Bank) Foundation announced that it had awarded 35 Research Grants for Scientific Research Projects in the areas of Mathematics, Climate Change and Ecology and Conservation Biology, Biomedicine, Social Sciences and Philosophy, the official announcement (in Spanish) is available here.
A total of 35 projects were selected among 620 submissions, including 4 projects in Mathematics, including the project above.
On June 7, 2022, the BBVA Foundation published a press note, available here, which includes a description (in Spanish) of the selected projects aimed at a general audience.
- El Pais: Online Version.
(in El Mundo here, in ABC here and in La Vanguardia here)
- Royal Spanish Mathematical Society: Online Version. PDF Version (pages 3-4)
- BBVA Foundation: Online Version.
Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.